I find that I am constantly learning what it means to pastor… and what it means to be a pastor. I find myself in a very familiar place, the more I learn brings me to the realization that I do not know much. To my fellow pastors out there, be very weary of ever coming to a place where you think you have pastoring figured out. Further, to you church goers out there, be very weary of the pastor who acts like he has it all figured out.
Here are few of the ways God is growing me right now:
- I’m slowly separating my unconscious association of pastoral leadership and business (CEO) leadership. (this is a LONG intricate process)
- I’m allowing myself the ability to break away from the compartmentalized pastoral life I once viewed as correct.
- I’m learning to walk courageously in the authority Jesus has graciously bestowed upon me.
- I’m learning how to grow in the spiritual gifts God has given me.
- I’m learning that although many people will say they like to be spiritually fed, they still need to be walked through the difficulty of spiritual growth. (this is true of myself as well)
That is just a fraction of the process in which God is working in me. However, I have not done one of them justice by the way I’ve described them. Each one has taken me through brokeness sometimes with tears, anger with a raised voice of despair, and silence out of such a great flood of thoughts that a single word couldn’t be found.
Matt Powell serves as teaching pastor at Crossings Community Church, a body of believers whose mission is to engage, equip, and empower homes for gospel transformation in Katy, TX.